Yields: 1 cake
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 mins
Ingredients needed to make Cherry Dump Cake:
- 2 lb frozen dark cherries, pitted
- ½ fresh pineapple
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp fresh orange zest, minced
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 ¼ cup refined sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- 10 tbsp cold butter, plus more for buttering the pan
Cooking instructions for Cherry Dump Cake:
- Place the cherries in a large saucepan and add a splash of honey into it.
- Pour in half of the water and heat it over moderate heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk in cornstarch in rest of the water until well combined and keep aside until necessary.
- Bring the cherries to a simmer, while stirring occasionally and continue to do so over gentle flame.
- Slice the pineapple into small chunks and set aside.
- Grease the sides and base of a 13’’x9’’ baking dish with small knob of softened butter and scatter the pineapples on it; set aside.
- Drizzle the cornflour mixture into the simmering cherries and continue to cook while stirring them continuously to prevent the formation of any lumps.
- Simmer further for one more minute and turn off the heat.
- Warm up your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and stir in the baking powder, sugar and a dash of salt until well combined.
- Dice the butter into small cubes and scatter it onto the dry mixture.
- Work them together with your fingers, crumbling the butter cubes with your fingers and stirring them into the dry mixture until they blend together to form a flaky mixture, resembling the texture of a cornmeal.
- Fold in the orange zest until they are mixed thoroughly and set aside.
- Spread the cherry mixture over the layer of pineapple chunks in the dish and tip the flaky mixture over it.
- Spread it over the cherries to cover them completely and place the dish in the preheated oven to bake for about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F and bake further for another 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons