Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Ingredients needed to make Brandy Snaps:
For the brandy snaps:
- 4 oz plain flour
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 t ground ginger
- 4 oz butter
- 2 tbsp brandy
For the filling:
- 10 fl oz double cream
- 3 ½ oz chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seed scraped out
- Hazelnuts, finely chopped
- Mixed fresh berries, for serving
- Icing sugar, for serving
Cooking instructions for Brandy Snaps:
- Warm up your oven to 350 degrees F and spread a grease-proof paper across a large baking tray.
- To make the brandy snaps, add a large splodge of butter into a saucepan and melt it over moderate heat.
- Stir in syrup, sugar as well as a splash of brandy into the pan and cook until the sugar dissolves and blends together to form a smooth mixture.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the ginger and flour until it is mixed thoroughly into a uniform mixture, free of lumps; set aside until the mixture cools down.
- Add 1 tsp worthfuls of the mixture onto the prepared tray, spaced apart, and pop the tray into the hot oven.
- Bake for 7 minutes while rubbing small amount of oil all over the handle of a spoon.
- Place two tins side by side, while maintaining a gap in between, and place the spoon across them to make a bridge.
- Scrap the brandy snap mixture off the tray and wrap it around the greased handle of that spoon to create a hollow roll.
- Remove it from the spoon and place it on a plate; make rest of the brandy snaps in a similar fashion.
- To make the filling, spoon the chocolate hazelnut spread, cream as well as a splash of vanilla into a bowl and whisk them thoroughly until well combined.
- Stuff the filling into the brandy snaps and sprinkle the icing sugar on top.
- Top it up with the chopped nuts and serve at room temperature alongside the berries.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons