Yields: one 9’’ loaf
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 55 mins
Ingredients needed to make Amaretto Pound Cake:
For the cake:
- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup store-brought amaretto
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp amaretto
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Cooking instructions for Amaretto Pound Cake:
- To make the cake, warm up your oven to 325 degrees F with a rack placed in this middle.
- Grease a 9’’x5’’x3’’ loaf pan with a small knob of butter and spread a sheet of parchment paper across its base.
- Sprinkle some flour into the pan to coat its sides as well as lined base and tap out the excess.
- Place the flour in a medium bowl and stir in the baking powder as well as a dash of salt until well combined, while breaking down the lumps if any.
- Place the butter in a bowl and whisk it with a stand mixer, equipped with a paddle attachment, at moderate speed for a minute or until it fluffs up.
- Sprinkle the sugar into it and continue to whisk until fully incorporated.
- Crack the eggs into it, one after another and beating them into the mixture each time until thoroughly blended.
- Reduce the speed to low and fold in half of the dry mixture until just mixed.
- Pour in the amaretto, followed by a splash of vanilla extract, and beat them further until just mixed.
- Fold in rest of the dry mixture and beat them into a smooth, uniform batter; avoid over-mixing.
- Bake the cake in the hot oven for 55 minutes or until it puffs up, the surface turns golden brown and the cake is baked through.
- Set aside on a wire rack for 10 minutes to cool slightly and remove from the pan before cooling it completely for another half an hour.
- Meanwhile, to make the glaze, whisk the sugar into the amaretto, until they blend into a smooth mixture and pour it onto the cake.
- Sprinkle the toasted almonds on top and keep aside until the glaze is set.
- Slice and serve.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons