Yields: 1 ½ quarts
Preparation time: overnight
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Tonka Bean Ice Cream:
For the ice cream:
- 1 quart half and half
- 2 small tonka bean
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
For the scotch caramel:
- ½ vanilla bean, seeds scrapped out
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup scotch
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp water
Cooking instructions for Tonka Bean Ice Cream:
- To make the ice-cream base, pour the half and half in a saucepan and whisk in the sugar until well mixed.
- Grate the tonka bean into the sweetened cream and fold it into the mixture until well combined.
- Cook the mixture over moderate heat until it starts simmering, stirring periodically, until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Turn off the heat and set aside for 15 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse into the mixture.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a separate bowl until they form a smooth, pale mixture.
- Drizzle the above mixture gradually while beating it into the egg yolks until all of it is incorporated into the mixture and tip it back into the saucepan.
- Cook it over moderately low flame while stirring it relentlessly, until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon.
- Turn off the heat and pour it into the fish mesh sieve to strain it into a lidded container.
- Cover and freeze overnight or until set.
- To make the caramel, cook a mixture of water, sugar and a dash of salt in a saucepan over moderately high heat until it starts boiling.
- Keep a watch on the mixture while stirring it constantly, until it starts forming a dark brown caramel and turn off the heat.
- Let it rest for a while until it darkens further and pour in the scotch gradually while whisking it into the caramel, until all of it is used up; be careful as the caramel will start spluttering.
- Incorporate the cream similarly once the crackling seizes and reheat it over slow flame.
- Cook for several minutes, stirring often, until the caramel melts and let it rest until it cools down.
- Leave in the fridge to chill along with the ice cream.
- To churn the ice cream, scrape its frozen base into the ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions until the ice crystals in it breaks down.
- Spread a thin layer of the creamy, churned ice cream over a metal container and drizzle some of the prepared scotch caramel over it.
- Repeat the layers of ice cream and caramel until of them are used up and leave in the fridge for an hour, covered, until it is set.
- Scoop it out into serving bowls and serve chilled.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons