Preparation time: over 2 hours
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients needed to make Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream:
For the ice cream:
- 10 large egg yolks
- 1 pint full fat milk
- 1 pint double cream
- ½ lb caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
For the ripple sauce:
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 oz caster sugar
- 1 lb 2 oz raspberries, rinsed
Cooking instructions for Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream:
- To make the ice cream, pour the milk and cream into a large pan and stir in the vanilla seeds as well as its pod.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and turn off the heat immediately; discard the vanilla pod.
- Place the egg yolks in a separate bowl and whisk them along with caster sugar using an electric mixer, until they blend to form a creamy, pale yellowish mixture.
- Pour the milk-cream mixture into the whisked egg, in a steady stream while beating them into the mixture until all of it is used up to form a smooth, uniform blend.
- Transfer the mixture back to a clean pan and cook it over slow flame for about 20 minutes, while stirring relentlessly, until it thickens into a custard-like consistency and coats the back of a spoon.
- Turn off the heat and pour the custard into a bowl.
- Put a lid on and keep it aside for half an hour to cool.
- To make the ripple sauce, dump the berries, sugar and water into a large saucepan and heat the mixture until it starts boiling, while stirring frequently.
- Lower the heat and simmer it for about 10 minutes or until the berries softens and break down.
- Pass it through a sieve to strain, into another bowl and press the residue in the sieve with a spatula to squeeze out any juices still trapped inside the berries.
- Transfer the strained juice back to the pan and simmer until it thickens into a syrup.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool it down to room temperature.
- Transfer the custard into an ice cream maker and process it according to the manufacturer’s instructions, until it becomes smooth and gooey.
- Spoon 1/3 of it into a lidded freeze-safe container and top it up with half of the ripple sauce.
- Repeat the layers until you end up with 3 layers of ice cream and a couple of layers of sauce.
- Spread the ripple sauce lightly across the ice cream to give it a marbled appearance and fasten the lid.
- Let it set in the freezer for about 4-5 hours or until it freezes.
- Before serving, let it rest at room temperature for about 5 minutes.
- Scoop it into serving cups and serve chilled.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons