Preparation time: 30 mins + 2 hours (inactive)
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Honey-Praline Ice Cream With Poached Pears:
For the ice cream:
- 2 fl oz double cream
- 20 fl oz whole milk
- 2 ½ oz condensed milk
- 1 ½ tsp glucose syrup
- 2 tbsp honey
For the poached pears:
- 4 pears, peeled and cored
- 20 oz caster sugar
- 1 ½ fl oz crème de cassis
- 1 ½ fl oz liquorice essence
- 3 liquorice sticks
For the praline:
- 1 oz flaked almonds, toasted
- 3 ½ oz caster sugar
Cooking instructions for Honey-Praline Ice Cream With Poached Pears:
- For the ice cream, add a splash of honey into milk and cook it over moderate heat until it starts boiling.
- Reduce to a simmer and continue to do so until it is reduced to half its original volume.
- Pass it through a fine mesh sieve into a jug and allow it to cool completely.
- Stir in the glucose syrup, along with the double cream as well as condensed milk until well combined.
- Transfer it to your ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Spoon it into a container, seal and leave it in the freezer to set.
- For poaching syrup, add 3 ½ oz sugar into a saucepan and heat it until it melts into a dark caramel.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool to some extent.
- Pour in 2 pints of hot water, along with a splash of liquorice essence.
- Drop in the liquorice sticks, followed by rest of the sugar as well as crème de cassis and whisk them into a smooth mixture; set aside for about 20 minutes to let the ingredients infuse their flavours into the blend.
- Return it to the heat and bring it to a boil.
- Drop in the pears, put a lid on and turn off the heat before setting it aside for another 20 minutes to let the flavours seep into the pears and the latter turns translucent.
- Pour half of the syrup into another pan and continue to cook the mixture until it thickens considerably and keep it aside to cool.
- To make the praline, spread a silicone baking sheet across the baking tray.
- Heat 3 ½ oz sugar to 300 degrees F, in a saucepan and remove from heat.
- Fold in the almonds and spread it across the lined baking tray into an even layer.
- Set aside until it sets and bread it into smaller bits.
- Throw them into the food processor and pulse them into fine crumbs.
- Dust a plate with these fine praline crumbs and set aside until required.
- Spread a greaseproof paper across a baking tray and scoop out the ice cream onto the praline crumbs.
- Sprinkle some of the crumbs onto them to coat well and transfer them to a baking tray; set aside in the fridge.
- For serving, place a poached pear on each plate and smother it with the thick poached syrup.
- Place the praline-coated honey ice cream beside the poached pear and serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons