Preparation time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Ingredients needed to make Goat Cheese Mousse With Strawberries:
For the topping:
- 1 ¾ ox rolled oats
- 1 oz dried bananas, coarsely chopped
- 1 oz dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1 oz dried strawberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 oz dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 oz hazelnuts, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 oz walnuts, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 ¾ oz unsalted butter
For the mousse:
- 4 ½ oz soft goats’ cheese
- 5 ½ oz cream cheese
- 5 ½ oz double cream
- 2 ½ oz full fat milk
- 1 oz pink peppercorns, crushed
- 5 ½ oz caster sugar
For the strawberry gel:
- 4 fl oz strawberry puree
- 2 gm agar agar
- 2 ¼ oz caster sugar
Cooking instructions for Goat Cheese Mousse With Strawberries:
- To make the topping, warm up your oven to 225 degrees F
- Throw in the rolled oats and chopped nuts into a dry skillet and toast them for several minutes, stirring often, until they turn golden brown.
- Transfer them to a bowl and add a splodge of butter to the same pan to melt it until it foams.
- Return the toasted mixture back to the pan, along with the dried fruits, maple syrup and a splash of honey.
- Stir them all together to coat well and spread them across a baking dish.
- Bake the mixture in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes and then set aside to cool.
- Tip the contents of the dish into a food processor and pulse them until they form coarse crumbs.
- To make the mousse, dump all its ingredients into the bowl of your stand mixer and whisk them thoroughly until well combined and the mixture thickens.
- Leave it in the refrigerator for half an hour to chill until necessary.
- For the gel, pour the strawberry puree into a saucepan and stir in the rest of its ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and continue to do so for a minute.
- Turn off the heat immediately and set aside to cool completely.
- Transfer it into a blender and pulse the mixture into a smooth gel; set aside.
- For serving, shape small balls of the goat’s cheese mixture and roll it across the shallow plate of the crushed topping to coat well.
- Arrange them at the centre of serving plates and spoon the strawberry gel along its side.
- Serve and enjoy.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons