Yields: 16 pancakes
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients needed to make a Pancake Day Fluffy Treat With Dutch Fried Apples:
For the pancake:
- 10 oz self-rising flour
- 3 fl oz milk
- 3 eggs
- 5 oz granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
For the Dutch fried apples:
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 oz butter
- 1 gill advocaat
- Icing sugar, for dusting
Cooking instructions for a Pancake Day Fluffy Treat With Dutch Fried Apples:
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk them thoroughly along with milk and sugar, until they form a pale yellowish mixture.
- Fold in the flour gradually and continue to beat until they blend to form a smooth, uniform, semi-thick batter.
- Add a lashing of oil in a griddle and heat it over moderate flame.
- Ladle a portion of the batter at the centre of the hot griddle and cook until bubbles pops up on its surface; adjust the heat to prevent them from becoming excess browned.
- Turn the pancake over to cook the other side for a couple of minutes to cook in the similar fashion; keep warm and cook rest of the pancakes in similarly.
- To fry the apples, melt butter in a small pan over moderate heat.
- Dust small amount of icing sugar into the melted butter and continue to heat until the sugar melts and caramelizes slightly.
- Throw in the chopped apples and sauté for about 4-5 minute, stirring at times, until it softens and turn golden brown.
- Add a splash of half of the advocaat to the apples and give it a nice stir to mix well.
- Let it simmer until the bubbling subsides and reduces to coat the apple chunks.
- Serve one pancake on each serving cake and spoon small portions of the apples on top.
- Add a lashing of rest of the liqueur to the apples and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve right away and enjoy this pancake day with these fluffy treats with a boozy twist!
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons