Yields: 12 funnel cakes
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients needed to make Funnel Cakes:
For the batter:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp red food colouring
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the cakes:
- 1/3 cup icing sugar, for dusting
- 2 quarts vegetable oil, for deep frying
Cooking instructions for Funnel Cakes:
- To make the batter, place the flour in a medium bowl and stir in baking powder, cocoa powder as well as a dash of salt until mixed well.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl and pour milk into it.
- Whisk them thoroughly, along with a splash of vanilla extract until the yolks break down to form a uniform mixture.
- Fold in the flour mixture gradually, while beating it into the mixture after each addition, until all of it is incorporated into the mixture to form a smooth batter.
- Spoon the apple cider vinegar into a small bowl and stir in the baking soda until mixed well.
- Drizzle it into the batter and give it a stir to until well combined.
- Add few drops of red food coloring into the batter and fold it into the mixture until it gets colored uniformly; set aside.
- Pour enough vegetable oil in a large pot, required for deep frying and heat it to 365 degrees F as indicated by an instant-read thermometer.
- Pour the batter into a large resealable Ziploc bag, seal and clip off a small portion of the bag at one of its corner, making sure that the batter doesn’t leak out.
- Pipe out some of the batter into the hot oil, while making swirling movements with your hand.
- Deep fry until the funnel cake fluffs up and its bottom sets.
- Carefully turn it over and cook the other side in a similar fashion.
- Drain it out into a plate, lined with absorbent papers, and make rest of the funnel cakes until all of the batter is used up.
- Sprinkle the funnel cakes generously with icing sugar and serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons