Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Ingredients needed to make Baked Apples With Calvados Sauce:
For the apples:
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 4 russet apples, rinsed and dried
- 2 ½ oz unsalted butter, melted
For the Calvados sauce:
- 1 ½ oz Braeburn apple, peeled and diced into ¼’’ cubes
- 1 tsp Calvados
- 2 oz caster sugar
- 3 ½ oz apple juice
- ¾ oz unsalted butter
- ½ tsp arrowroot, diluted in 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp Calvados
- 5 gm flaked almonds
- ¼ oz whole almonds
- ½ oz pistachio nuts
- ½ oz bread, cubed
- ½ oz Confectioner’s sugar
Cooking instructions for Baked Apples With Calvados Sauce:
- To bake the apples, warm up your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice off a small portion of the base of every apple and core them with the help of a small sharp knife.
- Grease a shallow baking dish with a lashing of melted butter and dust some sugar across it.
- Spread rest of the caster sugar across a shallow plate and set aside.
- Paint the apples with rest of the melted butter and roll it into the above plate to coat well with the sugar.
- Arrange the coated apples on the pre-greased dish and bake in the preheated oven for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, add the sugar into a small pan and heat it over moderate hear until it forms a deep golden caramel.
- Whisk in the butter and stir in the diced apples; sauté them for half a minute and add a splash of apple juice to it.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and pour in the arrowroot mixture gradually, whisking the sauce at the same time, until it slightly thickens.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the Calvados.
- For the topping, toss the diced bread with half of the confectioners’ sugar and spread it across a baking dish.
- Stir in the nuts, followed by rest of the sugar and a splash of Calvados, until they blend properly into a uniform mixture.
- Bake the topping in the oven for about 10 minutes or until it turns golden brown; remove from oven and set aside until it cools down completely.
- Serve the baked apples on serving plates and drizzle the sauce over them.
- Top it up with the toasted mixture and serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons