Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Ingredients needed to make Plum Buckle:
For the pecan topping:
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- Pinch of fine salt
For the batter:
- 1 lb plums, pitted and sliced into ¾’’ pieces
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
Cooking instructions for Plum Buckle:
- To make the topping, warm up your oven to 350 degrees F with a rack positioned midway within it.
- Grease an 8’’x8’’ square baking dish with a small knob of butter and keep aside.
- Place all its ingredients, except the nuts, into a medium bowl and blend them together using a stand mixer, into a flaky mixture.
- Stir in the chopped pecans until well combined, place a lid on top and leave in the fridge to chill.
- To make the batter, place the flour in a medium bowl and stir in a dash of salt and baking powder until mixed well; set aside.
- Beat the vanilla extract into the milk, in a separate bowl, until well combined and set aside.
- Place the butter in a bowl of a stand mixer, equipped with a paddle attachment, and sprinkle the sugar into it.
- Beat them together at moderate speed for about 3 minutes or until they cream into a light, fluffy mixture.
- Crack the eggs into it, one at a time, and beat it into the mixture after each addition until fully incorporated.
- Dust 1/3 of the dry mixture into it, and fold them together at low speed until mixed properly; don’t over-mix.
- Drizzle ½ of the vanilla-flavored milk into it and whisk them together at low speed until just combined.
- Repeat the process, alternating between the flour and milk mixture, so that all of them are blended into the mixture thoroughly to form a smooth batter.
- Stir in the plums until distributed evenly and tip the batter into the buttered baking pan.
- Sprinkle the chilled pecan topping to cover the surface evenly and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the buckle is baked through and the surface turns golden brown evenly.
- Allow to cook for about 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve at room temperature.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons