Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Ingredients needed to make Orange Angel Food Cake:
For the cake:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 12 egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 4 tsp packed orange zest
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
For the berries:
- 3 pint strawberries, hulled and finely sliced
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
Cooking instructions for Orange Angel Food Cake:
- To make the cake, position a rack midway within the oven and warm it up to 325 degrees F.
- Empty a cup of sugar into a small bowl and stir in the orange zest until distributed evenly throughout the mixture; set aside.
- Sift the all purpose flour into a sheet of parchment paper and stir in rest of the sugar in it until well combined.
- Sift it again into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites in a mixer bowl, using an electric mixer at high speed, for a minute or until it fluffs up.
- Spoon in the orange juice, cream of tartar as well as a dash of salt and continue to beat them together for a couple of minutes or until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Fold in the sugar-zest blend into the mixture, adding a couple of tbsp at a time, until of it is incorporated within the mixture.
- Continue to process the mixture for 2 more minutes or until it becomes shiny and fold in the dry mixture, ¼ of it at a time, until all of it is blended thoroughly to form a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into a 10’’ springform pan and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until it is baked through.
- Set aside for an hour or so to cool to room temperature.
- To prepare the berries, toss its ingredients together until the sugar dissolves and refrigerate for 20 minutes, stirring often, until the berries release its juices.
- Run a sharp knife along the edges of the pan to loosen the cake and flip it onto a plate.
- Slice and place them on serving plates.
- Top it up with the strawberries as well as the soaking sugary liquid and serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons