Yields: 40 cookies
Preparation time: overnight
Cooking time: 10 mins
Ingredients needed to make Molasses Crinkle Cookies:
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup dark molasses
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup coarse-grained sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup shortening, at room temperature
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Cooking instructions for Molasses Crinkle Cookies:
- Place the flour in a medium mixing bowl and stir in the ground spices, baking soda and a dash of salt until well mixed into a uniform mixture without clumps.
- Pour the shortening into another large bowl and crack the egg into it.
- Add the brown sugar as well as molasses and whisk them thoroughly until well combined into a smooth mixture.
- Fold in the flour mixture gradually and beat them together until the blend thoroughly to form a soft dough.
- Place a lid on top and leave it in the fridge overnight or at least for 3 hours to chill.
- Meanwhile, position a couple of racks within the oven and warm it up to 375 degrees F.
- Spread a sheet of parchment paper across 2 baking sheets and keep them aside until the dough is ready.
- Scatter the coarse-grained sugar evenly across a large, shallow plate.
- Split the dough into 12 balls and place them on the sugar-lined plate.
- Give each of them a gentle press so that the sugar stick to their bottoms and arrange them on the lined baking sheets, 2’’ apart, with the sugary-side facing up.
- Bake the cookies briefly for about 6 minutes and shift the sheets by 180 degrees before baking further for another 5 minutes or until the cookies are baked through.
- Transfer them onto wire racks and set aside until they cool down to room temperature.
- Store them in an air-tight container and tuck them in every time you feel hungry.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons