Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Coconut Pineapple and Rum Cake:
- One (18 oz) yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 10 oz coconut flakes
- 2 oz pie-filling mix, vanilla flavoured
- 1 cup dark rum
- 20 oz canned crushed pineapple
- 16 oz whipped topping
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup coconut milk
Cooking instructions for Coconut Pineapple and Rum Cake:
- Warm up your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush the interior of a 15×10’’ cake pan with a lashing of oil and dust it lightly with flour.
- Place the cake mix in a bowl and crack the eggs into it.
- Pour in milk, ¾ cup rum as well as a drizzling of oil into it and whisk them all together for a couple of minutes or until they are mixed thoroughly.
- Fold in a cup of coconut flakes until well combined and tip the butter into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in the hot oven for half an hour or until baked through.
- In the meantime, drain the canned pineapple into a clean bowl and reserve the juice.
- Add the pie filling mix into it, along with rest of the rum and a cup of reserved pineapple juice.
- Stir them all together until they blend properly and beat in the whipped topping until well mixed.
- Remove the cake from oven and set aside to cool.
- Flip it onto a plate and slice horizontally into three pieces.
- Transfer one of them onto a serving plate and spread some portion of the cream mixture over it.
- Place another cake slice on top and cover it with another splodge of cream.
- Top it up with the remaining cake slice and smother its top and sides with rest of the cream mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining coconut flakes on top and sides of the cake and press them gently to keep them in place.
- Leave in the fridge to chill.
- Slice and serve.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons