Known as Apple Crisp in America and Apple Crumble in the UK, this dessert is always a family favorite. It is a traditional US summer and Fourth of July holiday dessert, and apple crisp works well as a slightly healthier dessert given its amount of fruit and oats.
You can use just about any kind of apple for apple crisp, just make sure that they are fresh. I prefer honey crisp apples for baking (and eating!). To make your apple crisp even better, serve it with vanilla ice cream or a thick, creamy custard.
- 4 medium tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375ºF/190C.
- Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with butter.
- Spread apples at bottom of pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix the remaining ingredients together.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the apples are soft.
- Serve immediately.