Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients needed to make Banh Khot:
- 1.1 lb rice flour
- 0.1 lb sticky rice flour
- 10 medium shrimps, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup mung bean, hulled
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 can coconut milk
- Romaine lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
- Mustard leaves, rinsed and dried
- Fresh basil leaves, rinsed and dried
- Fresh Vietnamese mint, chopped
- Few coriander sprigs, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- 1 ½ cups water
For the dipping sauce:
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ cup water
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
Cooking instructions for Banh Khot:
- Place both the rice flours in a bowl and stir them together to mix well.
- Empty the can of coconut milk into it and stir it into the mixture until they form a smooth batter.
- Add splashes from water into the batter from time to time, while beating it into the batter until blended properly.
- Sprinkle half of the green onions, ground turmeric as well as a dash of salt into it and fold it into the batter until well combined; set aside.
- Rinse the shrimps under running water and chop them into smaller chunks.
- Heat a lashing of oil into a skillet over moderate heat.
- Toss the shrimp chunks into the skillet, along with remaining spring onions as well as garlic.
- Sprinkle a dash of salt and sauté briefly for a couple of minutes, while stirring at times; set aside.
- Pour few drops of oil into each hole of a banh khot pan and heat it over moderate heat until it shimmers.
- Pour small portions of a batter into each greased hole to fill 2/3 of it, place a lid on top and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and place a couple of cooked shrimp chunks on top of each pancake.
- Top it up with a tbsp of mung beans and put the lid back on.
- Cook further for another 5 minutes or until the batter sets and the edges of the pancakes turn crispy.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dipping sauce by placing water and juice in a bowl.
- Stir in sugar until it dissolves and they blend together to form a uniform mixture.
- Drizzle the fish sauce gradually into the mixture until all of it is incorporated into the mixture.
- Add the chopped garlic as well as chillies into the sauce and give it a nice stir until well combined.
- Pour it into a small serving bowl and set aside until the pancakes are ready to serve.
- Once the pancakes are cooked properly, set aside until cool enough to handle and remove from the pan.
- Sprinkle small amount of chopped cilantro and mint leaves on top of each pancake and serve alongside the salad greens and dipping sauce.
- Wrap each pancake with the leafy greens and dip them into the sauce to enjoy its authentic flavours.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons