Preparation time: 10 mins + 1 hour (inactive)
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Sup Ayam:
- 1 ½ lb chicken breast
- 3 oz bean thread vermicelli, soaked in water at room temperature to soften
- 2 potatoes, boiled, peeled and chopped into wedges
- 1 spring onion salt, chopped
- ½ cup shallots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 ½’’ fresh ginger root
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced into wedges
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp pepper powder
- 3 lemongrass stalks, bruised
- 6 + ½ cups water
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
Cooking instructions for Sup Ayam:
- Pound the garlic and ginger together in mortar and pestle, into a fine paste.
- Toss the ground spices together until well combined and stir in ½ cup water until they form a smooth paste.
- Rub this paste all over the chicken and marinate for an hour.
- Drizzle oil in a pot and heat it over slow flame.
- Throw in the shallots and stir fry until they turn crispy golden brown.
- Transfer them to a plate, lined with paper towels to soak away excess grease and set aside.
- Stir fry the onions in the same pot until they caramelize slightly and become fragrant.
- Place the marinated chicken into the pot and drop the lemon grass and whole spices into it.
- Fill it up with 5 cups of water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer the soup for about half an hour.
- Transfer the chicken into a bowl and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Pull it with your hands into fine shreds and set aside.
- Meanwhile, adjust the seasonings in the soup and keep it warm over slow heat.
- Boil some water in another pot and drop the vermicelli in it.
- Blanche it for a minute before draining it out.
- Pile it up in serving bowls and top it up with the shredded chicken.
- Add the potato and egg wedges to each bowl, along with a couple of tsp of cilantro and spring onions.
- Ladle the soup over the piled-up ensemble and sprinkle the crispy-fried shallots on top.
- Serve steaming hot.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons