Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients needed to make Panda Express Mongolian Beef:
- 1 lb flank steak
- 2 large green onions, sliced diagonally into 1’’ pieces
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp ginger, minced
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup + 2 tsp vegetable oil
Cooking instructions for Panda Express Mongolian Beef:
- To make the sauce, drizzle 2 tsp of oil in a medium sized saucepan over moderate heat but don’t let it smoke.
- Throw in the chopped garlic as well as ginger and sauté briskly for a minute before stirring in the soy sauce before the garlic browns.
- Empty the cup of brown sugar into the simmering sauce and stir it continuously until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring the sauce to a boil over higher heat and continue to do so for a couple of minutes or until the sauce turns thick; turn off the heat and set aside.
- Carve out ¼’’ thick slices from the flank steak from against the grain.
- Spread the cornstarch across a plate and dip the beef chunks into it.
- Flip them over to coat either side with the cornstarch and shake off any excess bits.
- Let the beef rest for about 10 minutes so that the cornstarch remains stuck to the meat.
- Meanwhile, empty a cup of oil into a wok and heat it over moderate flame until it is hot but doesn’t smoke.
- Lower the beef chunks into the oil carefully and stir fry for a couple of minutes or until the beef just browns around its sides.
- Drain the meat out of the wok with the help of a slotted spoon and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels so absorb any excess grease.
- Skim off the oil in the wok and return the half cooked beef back to the pan.
- Continue to sauté for a minute, stirring often, and pour in the sauce over them.
- Give it a good stir and simmer the mixture for a minute while stirring frequently.
- Stir in the green onions and continue to cook for another minute.
- Pass the mixture through a strainer to separate the sauce from the solid ingredients and transfer the residues, that is, the beef and green onions, onto serving plates.
- Serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons