Yields: 6 burgers
Preparation time: 1 hr
Cooking time: 40 mins
Ingredients needed to make Veggie Burgers:
- 6 soft buns, split
- 1 medium carrot, scrubbed and finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 small celery stalk, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and washed
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 5 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Deep-fried onion rings, for topping
Cooking instructions for Veggie Burgers:
- Cook the barley according to the directions provided by its package and set aside to cool it down to room temperature.
- Drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil into a large skillet and heat it over moderate flame until it shimmers.
- Throw in the celery plus onion and sprinkle a pinch of salt over them to season.
- Sauté for 12-14 minutes, stirring often, until they soften and stir in the garlic as well as carrots.
- Drizzle the 3 tbsp of the BBQ sauce over them, stir to coat well and continue to stir fry for another couple of minutes or until the mixture appears drier.
- Tip it into a food processor and set aside until it cools down completely.
- Dump the barley, walnuts, egg whites, parsley and breadcrumbs into the food processor and pour in the soy sauce.
- Season with ½ tsp salt, cover and blitz them until they grind into a slightly grainy mixture.
- Split the ground mixture into 6 equal portions and shape them into 4’ wide patties, each about ¼’’ thick.
- Wrap them up in cling film and leave in the fridge for at least a couple of hours or until they turn firm.
- Meanwhile, warm up your broiler.
- Heat rest of the oil in a large skillet over moderate heat and place the veggie patties onto it, two at a time.
- Cook each side of 6 minutes, or until they turn golden brown and flip it over to cook the other side similarly.
- While the patties cook, arrange the buns onto a broiler pan, with their cut side facing up and toast them in the broiler for a minute or two.
- Place one patty onto the bottom half of each bun and spoon a splash of BBQ sauce on top.
- Arrange the fried onion rings over it and cover it with the top half of the bun to close the burger.
- Assemble rest of the burgers in a similar fashion and serve immediately.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons