Preparation time: 4 hrs 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients needed to make Margarita Chicken:
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, skinned
- 4 Kaiser rolls
- ¼ green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted, skinned, deseeded and julienned
- ¼ red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 oz provolone cheese, sliced
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp tequila
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups canola oil
Cooking instructions for Margarita Chicken:
- Toss the cilantro leaves, garlic and jalapenos in a medium mixing bowl and sprinkle a tsp of salt, ground cumin, red chili flakes as well as oregano.
- Pour in a bout of tequila plus fresh lime juice and stir them all together to mix well.
- Place the chicken breasts into the bowl and sprinkle the red bell pepper strips into them.
- Give them a nice stir to coat well with the marinade and transfer the entire contents of the bowl into a large, resealable plastic bag.
- Seal and set aside in a fridge for at least 4-8 hours to marinate.
- Warm up your grill to high and grease the grill grate with small amount of oil.
- Drain out the chicken from the marinade and lay them out onto the greased grill grate.
- Grill one side of the chicken breasts for 5-7 minutes and flip them over to grill the other side similarly until they are seared on both sides and are cooked through.
- Remove from grill and set aside for 5 minutes or they cool down to some extent.
- Meanwhile, place the flour in a small mixing bowl and stir in the granulated garlic as well as rest of the salt until well combined.
- Pour the canola oil in a deep-fryer and heat it to 350 degrees F.
- Separate bell pepper strips from the marinade and transfer them into the seasoned flour.
- Toss them to dredge well, shake off any excess flour and dip them into the hot oil to deep-fry until they turn crispy golden brown.
- Drain them onto piled up kitchen papers and set aside.
- Once the chicken pieces are cool enough to handle, pull the flesh apart from the bone and cut it into thin slices.
- Toast the rolls slightly on hot griddle pan and smother them with mayonnaise.
- Pile up the cabbage and onion onto the bottom halves of the toasted rolls and arrange the chicken slices on top.
- Scatter the fried peppers over them and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- close the sliders by placing the top half over the cheese and serve immediately.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons