Yields: 48 rolls
Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients needed to make Pigs in a Blanket:
- 16 hot dogs, chopped into thirds
- ¾ cups wheat flour
- 2/3 cups white flour
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 package yeast
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 2/3 cups warm water
- 1 tsp salt
Cooking instructions for Pigs in a Blanket:
- Whisk the yeast in warm water, along with a splash of honey, until well combined.
- Set aside for about 5 minutes or until its froths up and fold in the white flour until they are mixed properly; avoid over-mixing.
- Wrap the surface with a plastic sheet and set aside for half an hour in a warm place.
- Process the mixture with an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, and beat in the wheat flour as well as salt until they are mixed thoroughly and clump together to form a dough.
- Dust some flour in case the dough appears sticky and transfer it onto a slightly-floured aorking surface.
- Knead for a couple of minutes or until it becomes pliant and place it in a lightly-oiled bowl.
- Wrap the surface with a bowl and set aside for an hour or until it doubles in size.
- Meanwhile, warm up your oven to 425 degrees F and spread a sheet of parchment paper over baking sheet; set aside.
- Split the dough into 4 pieces and flatten each of them, using rolling pin, into ¼’’ thick rectangles.
- Carve out 12 triangles out of each dough rectangle and place a hot dog chunk along the base of each triangle.
- Roll it into the cylinder and tuck in the sides to secure.
- Smother it with a splash of milk and roll it onto a plate with sesame seeds until well coated.
- Place the roll onto the lined sheet and make rest of them in a similar fashion.
- Bake them in the hot oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons