Preparation time: `1 hour
Cooking time: 40 mins
Ingredients needed to make Pork Kievs With Apple Sauce:
- 4 ( 6oz each) pork tenderloin fillets, trimmed
For the stuffing:
- 4 Serrano ham slices
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbso fresh chives, chopped
- Freshly squeezed out juice and zest of a lemon
- 4 Manchego cheese slices
For the coating:
- 3 ½ oz all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 7 oz breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the apple sauce:
- 6 apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 ¾ oz butter
- 2 oz caster sugar
Cooking instructions for Pork Kievs With Apple Sauce:
- Warm up your oven to 400 degrees F.
- To make the kievs, incompletely slice each pork fillet along its length to carve out a pocket and flatten it out by bashing it briefly with a rolling pin.
- Toss the garlic, chives and lemon zest into a food processor, along with a knob of butter and a splash of lemon juice.
- Blitz them into a smooth paste and pour it at the centre of a wax paper.
- Roll it into a thin cylinder, twist either sides of the paper to secure and leave it in the fridge for half an hour to chill.
- Take it out of the fridge, unwrap and slice it into 4 portions, a tad smaller than the meat fillets.
- Top each slice of Serrano Ham with that of Manchego cheese and place a slice of the filling over it.
- Wrap the free ends of both ham plus cheese slices around the filling and stuff it into a pork fillet.
- Roll it up and insert the cocktail stick to secure; make rest of the kievs in a similar fashion.
- Spread the breadcrumbs and flour across a couple of separate plates.
- Place the beaten eggs in a bowl and place alongside the above plates.
- Roll each kiev across the flour to dredge well and transfer it into the beaten egg until properly coated.
- Place it onto the breadcrumbs and roll it until coated evenly; shake off any excess crumbs and throw away the cocktail stick.
- Add a lashing of oil in a deep-bottomed skillet and heat it over moderately high heat until it shimmers.
- Working in batches, lower the kievs into the hot oil and shallow fry for a couple of minutes or until the coating turns crispy golden brown.
- Drain them out, using slotted spoon, into a plate lined with paper towels to get rid of any excess grease.
- Once all of them are fried, arrange them on a baking tray and bake for about 25 minutes or until it is heated through.
- Meanwhile, to make the apple sauce, melt butter in a skillet until it foams and throw in the apple slices.
- Stir in the sugar and cook for about 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until the apples turns tender enough to appear mushy and caramelize.
- Serve the pork kievs alongside apple sauce.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons