Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 2 hours
Ingredients needed to make Beef Stew with Dumplings:
For the stew:
- 1 lb beef steak, chopped into bite sized chunks
- 6 oz baby onions, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 oz carrots, chopped into large chunks
- 5 oz celery, chopped into large chunks
- 7 oz swede, chopped into large chunks
- 2 leeks, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 18 fl oz beef stock
- 5 fl oz red wine
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce, as required
- 1 oz butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the dumpling:
- 4 ½ oz all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 ½ oz suet
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Dash of salt to taste
- Water, as required
- 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Mashed potato
Cooking instructions for Beef Stew with Dumplings:
- Warm up your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add a dollop of butter to an oven proof casserole and drizzle some oil over it.
- Heat them over moderate flame and throw in the beef chunks.
- Cook the beef, while stirring at times, until it browns evenly.
- Dust the meat with small amount of flour and continue to cook for another couple of minutes.
- Throw in the garlic, as well as rest of the veggies and stir-fry the mixture for a minute or two.
- Add a splash of wine, followed by beef stock as well as the herbs, and give it a nice stir to mix.
- Drizzle the Worcestershire sauce as well as the balsamic vinegar over them and season with lots of black pepper and salt.
- Stir the mixture several times, put a lid on and place the casserole into the oven.
- Cook the stew for a couple of hours or until the meat is cooked through.
- To make the dumplings, sift the flour, salt as well as baking powder together into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the water, followed immediately by the suet and knead the mixture into a thick and soft dough.
- Pinch out small portions of the dough and roll them into small balls with your floured hands.
- After the cooking time is over, uncover the stew and place the dumplings into it.
- Put the lid back on and return to the oven to cook for another 20 minutes or until the dumplings puffs up and softens.
- Transfer the mixture to four serving plates and top it up with a dollop of mashed potato.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley on top and serve hot.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons