Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time:20 mins
Ingredients needed to make Wet Burritos:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, divided
- 2 cups refried beans
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 jar (18 oz) beef gravy
- 1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce
- 4 large tortillas
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin, divided
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- Sour cream
- Chopped lettuce
- Chopped onion
- Chopped tomato
Cooking instructions for Wet Burritos:
- Place the ground beef in a medium saucepan and sprinkle the garlic and chopped onion into it.
- Sauté them, while breaking down the lumps into smaller bit with the help of a wooden spoon, until they brown nicely.
- Skim off any fat in the pan and stir in a splash of Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, paprika, pepper and ¾ tsp ground cumin.
- Empty ½ can of the tomatoes into it and give it another stir to mix well.
- Bring it to a simmer and continue to cook for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, add the refried beans into a separate skillet and stir in rest of the ground cumin into it.
- Reheat it over moderate heat and keep warm.
- Pour the beef gravy and enchilada sauce into another saucepan and stir in rest of the canned tomatoes.
- Heat the mixture until it starts boiling and reduce the heat to low to keep warm.
- Toast the tortillas as instructed by the manufacturer and warm up the oven to 375 degrees F at the same time.
- To assemble, spread ¼ of the browned meat across one side of the tortilla and top it up with ¼ cup of refried beans.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of cheese over it and fold the other side over the filling to form a roll.
- Arrange them in a 13’’x9’’ baking dish in a single layer and smother them with the prepared gravy.
- Scatter rest of the cheese on top to cover completely and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the burritos are heated through and the cheese melts.
- Serve one burrito in each serving plate and drizzle some of the sauce on top.
- Serve warm alongside bowls of sour cream, salsa, jalapenos and chopped veggies.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons