Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Indonesian Pork Curry:
- 1 ½ lb pork strips, diced into 1’’ cubes
- 12 oz pumpkin, peeled and chopped into 1’’ chunks
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 10 oz fresh spinach leaves, picked and rinsed
- 1’ fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves, leaves picked and roughly shredded
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, leaves picked and roughly shredded
- 1 fresh lemongrass stalk, thinly sliced
- ½ pint creamed coconut
- 6 tbsp red Thai curry paste or sambal paste
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cooking instructions for Indonesian Pork Curry:
- Drizzle oil in a wok and heat it over moderately high heat until it smokes.
- Toss the pork chunks into the hot wok, few at a time to avoid overcrowding, and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring often, until they turn golden brown evenly.
- Drain them out with the help of a slotted spoon into a bowl and keep warm until all the pork chunks are browned similarly.
- Throw in the garlic as well as onion into the same wok and sauté over slow flame, stirring at times, until the latter softens but doesn’t change its colour yet.
- Stir in the ginger, pumpkin and lemongrass and sprinkle the fennel seeds over them.
- Stir fry for another 5 minutes over slow flame and spoon in the Thai curry paste or sambal paste.
- Give it a nice stir to coat the mixture well with the spicy paste and cook until it gives out a pleasant piquant aroma.
- Dump the cooked pork back into the wok and pour in the creamy coconut milk.
- Stir them all together and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Lower the heat back to medium and bring it to a simmer.
- Cook likewise for about 10-12 minutes and sprinkle the chopped herbs over the curry.
- Throw in the spinach leaves and fold them into the curry along with a dash of salt to season.
- Whisk in a splash of lime juice until well combined and pour it into a serving bowl.
- Serve alongside steamed white rice.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons