Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Chicken Stew South Indian Style:
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, chopped into four pieces
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- ¾ oz fresh ginger, peeled and julienned
- 1 green chili, slitted
- 8-10 curry leaves
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, plus more for seasoning the chicken
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning the chicken
- 1 blade mace
- 1’’ cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 2-3 green cardamom pods, slightly crushed
- 4-6 black peppercorns
- Flour, for dusting
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Chopped celery leaves, to garnish
Cooking instructions for Chicken Stew South Indian Style:
- Season the chicken pieces with a dash of cinnamon, freshly ground black pepper as well as salt; dust them lightly with flour and set aside until required.
- Drizzle a tbsp of vegetable oil into a large saucepan and heat it over slow flame.
- Once the oil heats up, drop in the chicken chunks and stir-fry lightly so that they doesn’t catch any color and are just cooked; remove from heat and keep it aside.
- Pour rest of the oil into the same pan and add the whole spices, once the oil heats up.
- Saute the spices, while stirring them at times, until they begins to splutter and stir in the onions, ginger as well as curry leaves.
- Continue to saute the mixture for about 5 minutes or until the onions become lucid.
- Sprinkle rest of the ground cinnamon, black pepper, ground coriander and turmeric powder over the mixture and saute the mixture further for another couple of minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add a splash of coconut milk and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Return the cooked chicken pieces into the pan, along with the tomatoes and stir them well together to coat both the ingredients with the simmering gravy.
- Continue to simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes or until the meat is cooked properly.
- Arrange a bed of steamed rice on each serving plates and divide the chicken pieces between the,.
- Spoon the stew gravy over the chicken and top it up with chopped celery.
- Serve hot.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons