Published on May 2nd, 2013 | by Recipe Mash Team0
How to Bake Tapioca Cake
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Ingredients needed to make Tapioca Cake:
For the cake:
- 1 package (18 oz) vanilla cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 ¼ cups white cranberry juice
- Butter-flavoured cooking spray
For the filling:
- 1 box (3 oz) instant tapioca pudding mix
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 can (14 oz) light coconut milk
- ½ cup shredded coconut
For the frosting:
- 3 cans (12 oz) fluffy white frosting
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut
- 3 tsp coconut extract
- Blueberry sauce (recipe below)
- Fresh blueberries
For the blueberry sauce:
- 2 cups frozen blueberries, thawed
- Zest of ½ orange, finely grated
- ¼ cup blueberry jelly
- 1/3 cup Blueberry vodka
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
Cooking instructions for Tapioca Cake:
- To make the blueberry sauce, dump all its ingredients into a saucepan and stir them all together to mix well.
- Heat the mixture over moderate flame, until it starts simmering and continue to do so for next 3-6 minutes, or until the jelly dissolves completely and blends along with rest of the ingredients to form a thick sauce.
- Pour it into a bowl and set aside to cool completely.
- To make the cake, warm up your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease two 8’’ round cake pans with the cooking spray and set aside.
- Empty the package of cake mix into a large bowl and crack the eggs into it.
- Pour in the white cranberry juice as well as oil into it and beat them together with a stand mixer at low speed for half a minute.
- Scrap down any residual mixture from the sides of the bowl and continue to beat for another couple of minutes on medium speed.
- Pour half of the batter into each pan and smooth out their surface with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the cake is baked through.
- While the cakes bake, prepare the filling my adding the pudding mix into a medium saucepan along with 1 tsp coconut extract, ½ cup shredded coconut and coconut milk.
- Stir them all together to mix well and bring it to a boil over moderate flame, while stirring the mixture relentlessly, until it thickens; turn off the heat and set aside.
- Place the frosting in a small bowl and stir in rest of the coconut extract until mixed well.
- To assemble the cake, slice each cake horizontally into equal halves with the help of serrated knife.
- Stuff 1/3 of the frosting into a pastry bag, fitted with star tip and set aside.
- Place one half of the cake onto a cake plate and pipe out the frosting along its edges to form a ring-shape.
- Spread 1/3 of the tapioca pudding within the ring and place another half of the cake on top.
- Repeat the process until all the cake slices are stacked and spread rest of the frosting on the sides and surface of the assembled cake.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut on top and arrange the blueberries around the edges to and decorate.
- Add a large splodge of blueberry sauce at the middle of the frosting and slice out large wedges.
- Serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons