Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients needed to make Es Cendol:
- 2 oz sago flour
- 4 ½ oz rice flour
- 15 oz water
- 2 ½ oz water boiled with pandan leaves
- Salt to taste
- 17 oz coconut milk, boiled and cooled
- 7 oz palm sugar
- 4 oz water
- 1 can jackfruit in syrup, drained and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- Shaved ice, as required
Cooking instructions for Es Cendol:
- Stir the sago and rice flour together, along with a splash of water, until well combined.
- Pour rest of the water into a saucepan, along with the green pandan leaves-water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring it to a boil and tip it into the dry mixture.
- Fold them together until they form a uniform, paste-like mixture without lumps.
- Tip it into a cendol strainer or one with round holes and press it firmly so that small, round cendol pieces are strained out of it.
- Transfer the cendol into a large bowl and fill the rest of ice plus water.
- Set aside until they turn firm and drain them out using a fine mesh strainer.
- Meanwhile, place the palm sugar and water in a separate saucepan and bring it to a boil until the former dissolves.
- Bring it back to a boil and set the thick palm sugar syrup in a bowl.
- Strain it out into a bowl and return the strained mixture back into the pan.
- Spoon some cendol into a tall glass and pour in the coconut milk.
- Drizzle the prepared palm sugar syrup into it and plop in few jackfruit chunks.
- Fill rest of the glass with shaved ice and make rest of the servings in a similar fashion.
- Serve chilled.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons