Yields: 24 pretzels
Preparation time: over 2 hours
Cooking time: 40 mins
Ingredients needed to make Pretzel Rods:
For the pretzels:
- 1 ½ cups bread flour
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
For the poaching liquid:
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 quarts water
- ½ cup baking soda
For the topping:
- 2 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
Cooking instructions for Pretzel Rods:
- To make the pretzels, mix the flours together and stir in sugar, yeast and a dash of salt.
- Pour the water in a steady stream and work them together with your fingers, until they gather together to form a flaky dough.
- Place it into a working surface, dusted previously with flour and punch it down for about 5 minutes or until it turns soft and smooth.
- Grease a large bowl with few drops of oil and transfer the dough into it.
- Roll the dough along the sides of the bowl to oil lightly and wrap it up with a plastic sheet.
- Allow to rest for an hour or until rises to become double its size.
- Spread sheets of parchment paper across a couple of baking sheets and set aside.
- Split the dough into 24 parts and roll each portion into a 9’’ long, thin strip.
- Arrange the ropes on the baking sheets, spaced an inch apart and place a plastic wrap loosely on top; set aside for another hour to let it rise again.
- Warm up your oven to 375 degrees F .
- Empty 8 cups of water into a large saucepan and bring it to a simmer over moderate heat.
- Stir in the brown sugar as well as the baking soda until they dissolve completely and the mixture froths up slightly.
- Working in batches, lower the dough strips gently into the hot water and cook them for half a minute.
- Drain them out, using a metal skimmer and arrange them again on the baking sheets.
- Crack the egg into a separate bowl and whisk it along with a splash of water to prepare the egg wash.
- Brush it all over the dough ropes and dust them with coarse salt.
- Bake the pretzels in the oven for half an hour or until they turn dark golden brown and are baked through.
- Arrange them on a wire rack and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Stuff them in an airtight jar and store at room temperature for as long as a week.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons